Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Scottish Highlights

We arrived back on Saturday afternoon and I've been busy trying to organize myself ever since!  I love the fresh start a new year can bring.  Especially this year.  This is an exciting time for us.  After returning from a two week trip to the UK we are headed to Niagara-on-the-Lake for the Ice Wine Festival (a very thoughtful wedding gift from our good friend Blair), then I'm off to Montreal for a sales conference.  Finally, when I return we will start the process of looking for a house! Woohoo!! :)  2010 is going to be a GREAT year!  I'll be sure to keep you posted on the house hunt.  Now it's time to recap our trip (part 1). 


We had a fantastic time in Scotland visiting family and touring a bit of the country.  It was Ryan's first trip to the UK and he has fallen inlove with Scotland (especially Edinburgh!).  We spent eight days in Saltcoats (35 minutes north of Glasgow) as our base and took day trips to Glasgow, Edinburgh and a bit of the Highlands. 


My uncle Gerry loves his camera and is very good at capturing every moment!  This is us minutes after arriving at Glasgow airport.  Notice the flask?  It's full of whiskey.  Gerry made us take a swig of it as a welcome to Scotland and to warm us up.  It lead to many more drinks over the eight days.



This is my Aunt Ann & Uncle Gerry and me in Loch Lomand.



This is Daisy.  She is the best dog in the world!  The perfect size, calm and doesn't shed her hair.  Sorry Cooper but I've fallen for another dog.  ADORABLE!!



Here we are outside of a cafe in Loch Lomond with my Aunt Ann.



This is inside the cafe.  It was gorgeous, warm, cozy and served the biggest most delicious scones!  The staff also had to wear kilts.  Who doesn't love to see a man in a kilt?!



Ah, look at that view of Loch Lomond... Stunning.







Here is Ryan in Edinburgh with the castle in the background.



This is the view of the city from the castle grounds.



The Royal Mile is in the back ground.  It's the road that leads up to the castle from the city.



Pictured below is Aran island.  This is the view from most points in Saltcoats.  Breathtaking!  This photo was taken from the Hydro (where my Ann & Gerry work out).



Cute couple! :)



This is the Hydro.  Can you imagine going to workout here every day and then getting to walk along the shore with the gorgeous view above?



We celebrated Hogmanay (New Years Eve) with my cousin Fiona her husband Dennis, their kids Amy and James, new friends Pamela, Craig and their kids.  I miss you all so much!



Fiona, Dennis, Amy and James hanging out after Dennis cooked us the most delicious Indian meal.



This photo was taken on our way to the airport.  We woke up that morning to about 6 inches of snow.  The UK has received more snow and the coldest temperatures it's felt in 100 years.  It was insane!  Normally it's quite a green country with maybe a dusting of snow in December.  It looked so beautiful.



Leaving Scotland was difficult.  It was so good to see my family.  Unfortunately, we don't get to see them very often.  I wish that could change.  I miss you all so much already.  It was wonderful to see you!!!  Ryan and I can't thank you enough for making us feel at home.  xoxo


p.s. Fiona you better show up in 2011!!! :)


I will recap on our trip to London later in the week.  Right now I need to relax while catching up on my shows. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! :)